mandag 24. mai 2010

My first trip to "tyven" this season

Yesterday I met an old friend of me downtown. After a few minutes of talk we decided to walk to the top of "tyven". Tyven is a small mountain, just outside Hammerfest and is a popular goal for walks during the season. Some people don't care about huge loads of snow and walks up and down the hills to get there, all year around.

 This is a picture from a couple of weeks ago. My friend is pointing towards the mountain "Tyven".

I'm a little more lazy so the trip today was my first this year. There is a road up to the top of the mountain, and we decided to walk the road. The distance along the road is much longer than just up the hillside, so we did it to get some exercize.

After a few kilometers we came to a lake where the Ice still hadn't broken up. We got tempted, we had to try it. It had in fact broken up a little so we had to jump out onto a big piece of the ice. When I was standing on it, moving back and forth the ice started to move also. Cold water started to come over and I got nervous thinking the Ice would tip over, and with me still standing on it. It did not.

The piece of ice I was standing on

A little further up the road and we finally arrived at our goal, Tyven. We stayed there for half an hour, enjoyed the great weather, drank a little coffee and ate some fruit. The view is really astonishing. We have a great 360 degree view. To the south we can see the Island Seiland. It's still filled up with loads of snow and we can also see the glaciers on the top of the Island. Over to the west and north we can see the occeand reaching into the sea. It's the polarocceans and next stops would be Svalbard/Spitzbergen, Greenland or the North pole. Maybe that should be my next expedition. Probably not, I prefer my comfort zone.

The view from the top of the mountain "Tyven"

On our return we walked down the hillside. For a short part it was packed with snow, we used it  to slide down on , and the return lasted to short. But at least a great trip together with my friend Knut.
  

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar